I have no idea what to do. Warning: Personal Post.
So this semester is my first semester of graduate studies. I was originally going to take three classes (9 credits), and still work full-time. About a month ago, I made the decision that if I was going to work full-time, I should probably only take two classes due to the workload, and I dropped a class.
Now I am regretting that decision. I am trying to decide if I should take the three classes, and just drop to part-time at work. I could potentially work 4 days a week instead of 5, and only make 50 bucks (give or take some) a week less than what I am now (at the most, it would be $100 a week). Only working 4 days, I could then take 3 classes and have enough time to put in a good effort.
I have written up a little pro/con list, and the only thing it comes down to is money. Now, I live with my parents because of the money thing. I do not pay rent or anything to them, so I wouldn’t have to worry about that if I went part-time. The only bills I would have to worry about would be my student loans (like $300 a month), and my credit card (which is slowly going down, but I would be paying at least $100 a month). So, I need $400 a month for bills, plus money for gas and whatever else I want to do. As long as I had the money for my bills and for gas, I wouldn’t care if I had money to do anything else to do. I’ll probably be too busy with school anyways to really do much of anything.
Sooo…I think I’m going to end up going part-time at work. It may hurt me a bit, but I think it will help more in the end, because I will be able to finish my schooling faster this way. I was planning on going part-time next semester anyways so that I could take more credits…why not just do it now?
I’m just trying to figure out if my contract will allow it. When the company sends groomers for training, we sign a contract saying we will stay with the company for two years to pay them back for our training (which, if we went to an actual school for it, tuition would be close to $5,000. We get it for free through the company). If we leave before 2 years is up, they “say” they will come after us for $4,000 to pay for the training (whether they actually would, we don’t know. We’ve never seen them do it, but you never know). So, I want to stay with the company to avoid that whole debacle. BUT. I can’t remember seeing anything in our contract saying we have to stay full-time for those two years. I’m trying to find my copy of the contract, so that I can check and see. But I don’t remember seeing that I can’t go part-time, I think it only says we have to stay with the company for 2 years, whether it’s full-time or part-time.
I dunno. I think I’m going to register for the third class now, and then if my manager says I can’t go part-time because of my contract, I’m going to try to call someone higher up to talk to them about it. At least I have the class registered for if I can take it, and if I can’t, I’ll just drop it.
Gah. This is such a pain. Thanks for getting this far through this post.